The gardens had been founded in 1893 by steel and real-estate magnate Henry Phipps for a present to the City of Pittsburgh. Its objective is to instruct and entertain the people of Pittsburgh with formal gardens (Roman, English, etc.) and different species of exotic plants (palm trees, succulents, bonsai, orchids, etc.). Presently, the facilities home elaborate gardens inside the two room conservatory itself and about the adjacent grounds. Along with its principal flora displays, the glass and metalwork of this Lord & Burnham conservatory provides an intriguing instance of Victorian greenhouse design.
Phipps is among those”greenest” centers on the planet. The entry pavilion of this Phipps Conservatory includes silver-level LEED certificate. Its greenhouse manufacturing facility has obtained Platinum certification, the first and only rainwater to be certified. In addition, the Center for Sustainable Landscapes, made to be as environmentally sustainable as possible, can also be LEED Platinum owned, also produces all its energy.
The Phipps Conservatory was founded in 1893 as a present from Henry Phipps, Jr.. Into the City of Pittsburgh. The Conservatory was created by Lord & Burnham, for a charge of $100,000. The glasshouse, then comprising nine screen chambers, was finished in August 1893, 1 year after construction started. On December 7, 1893, the Phipps Conservatory was introduced to the General Public, demonstrating many plants in the World’s Columbian Exposition at Chicago.