A prison is joined to the courthouse through the”Bridge of Sighs”. The layout was based on the Bridge of Sighs at Venice. The whole complex was constructed of big rusticated blocks of granite, together with the entry windows and ways topped with broad arches. This also gives the building a thick, secure and dignified look.
After the devastation of the next loaf, Allegheny County Commissioners decided to hold a contest to design a replacement. The winner of this contest was Boston architect Henry Hobson Richardson and construction of the buildings had been started from the Norcross Brothers, Richardson’s structure company of selection, in 1884.
The plan of the main building, which Richardson regarded as his best, was revolutionary because the construction is constructed around an interior courtyard, hence allowing natural light and atmosphere to achieve the majority of the construction. The courtyard is surrounded by four tales in 3 sides. A tower rises five stories in the courtyard’s available side. As was generally the case with Richardson’s buildings, the roof is steep with dormers put at all of the corners.
From the 1900s the road level in the front of the construction was reduced as a member of a overall re-grading of Pittsburgh.
Richardson had expected this and paths of completed masonry was buried underground, today to be disclosed. Unfortunately this abandoned the heterosexual entry a complete story above the road. A grand stairway has been built but eliminated during road widening from the 1930s- that the low arched doors were prolonged to road level, with the consequence that the visitor isn’t greeted with the grand entry hall Richardson intended, but from the reduced corridors that were once the cellar.
Back in 1976, it had been designated a National Historic Landmark.
The Allegheny County Courthouse at downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is a portion of a complicated (along with the older Allegheny County Jail) made by H. H. Richardson. The buildings have been considered one of the best examples of this Romanesque Revival design for which Richardson is well-known.
The present building, completed in 1888, was designated a National Historic Landmark at 1976. Richardson afterwards called it as his”great achievement”.